Events & Festivals in Chiang Mai 2016
Chiang Mai is proudly to present its unique northern slant on Thai culture to people from around the world. Y2016 promises to be an interesting and varied one, with a wide range of events and festivals to cater for all tastes.
Chiang Mai, the second largest city in thailand, has weathered seven hundred years of fascinating history. Chiang Mai has its own very distinctive culture, arts, festivals, and traditions as well as an exciting mix of local, ethnic as well as expatriate communities from all over the world. It has been voted one of the top destinations to live in Asia and is a modern and cosmopolitan city, while not having lost its traditional old charm. Y2016 promises to be an interesting and varied one, with a wide range of events and festivals to cater for all tastes.
Chiang Mai Events and Festivals in January
- 15-17 January 2016> Bor Sang Umbrella festival that full of local parade with the bright colors of the parasols and fans in ‘Umbrella Village’.
Chiang Mai Events and Festivals in February
- 5 -6 Feb. 2016> A delicately scented and vibrantly colored procession takes place on Tha Pae road – to celebrate the Chiang Mai Flower festival. It is at this time of year that the flowers of the region are in full splendor.
- 7 -9 Feb. 2016> Wonderful Chinese New Year’s festivities. Popularly celebrated in Thailand, this involves ‘lion dances’ and fireworks, following the best traditions of the Chinese descendents in Thailand. The Chinese City pillar near the Flower Market is a focal point of this celebration.
Chiang Mai Events and Festivals in March
- 4 -5 Mar. 2016>Thailand International Balloon Festival
- 13 Mar. 2016> Elepahant day celebration & show. Free entrance @ Mae Sa Elephant camp, A.Maerim.
Chiang Mai Events and Festivals in April
- Begin April > Poy Sang Long festival, a three day event where young Shan men are paraded around the streets in preparation for Buddhist monkhood. They are dressed in a princely fashion, like the Lord Buddha, before being taken to the monastery for a period to learn the ways of the monks.
- 13-15 April 2016> The famous Water festival called “Song Kran” will be on Thai New Year. This inevitably involves a lot of fun and plenty of water spaying .
Chiang Mai Events and Festivals in May
- 1 May – 30 June 2016> Chiang Mai Golf Festival 2016 :Enjoy Golfing at special prices curtsey of the Tourism Authority of Thailand. 1,000 baht per person. Tel: 053-276 104-1
Location: Chiang Mai Inthanon Golf and Natural Resort, Mae Jo Golf Club and Resort, Alpine Golf Resort Chiang Mai, Royal Chiangmai Golf Resort, Gold Canyon Golf and Resort, Summit GreenValley Chiang Mai
- 19 May 2016 > Annual Walk Up Doi SuthepOn the eve of Visakha Bucha Day thousand of buddhists walked up to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. Walking usually starts at 7pm from Wat Srisoda.
- 28 May 2016> Street Art at Wualai Road.
Enjoy live painting by many well-known Thai artists including Annatar, Asin, Astro, CAS, Hootive, Hooboy, Jecks, Kanaet, Mauy, Sanchai, Tuktunteung, Yokeer54, and Zarim. There will be other activities, as well as food and drinks, available to entertain you for the whole event. The event will be held at Old Chiangmai on May 28th. Drop by anytime between 9am – 9pm for further info 053-202-993-5
Chiang Mai Events and Festivals in November
- In November 2016> Sansai Yee Peng Festival @ Thudongkasathan LannaSansai District Chiang Mai. There are Floating Sky Lanterns and Krathong Release into river.Tel. 053-353-174
- 14-16 November> Loi Krathong (Yi Peng) – night-time event held during the first full moon in November, where small boats made of banana leaves are filled with candles, incense and flowers, and then floated down rivers.
Chiang Mai Events and Festivals in December
- December 5th, King’s Birthday – celebrated by the whole of Thailand, with much of Chiang Mai featuring a range of celebrations and decorations
- In December 2016 Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens 2016- There are Floral bition , Painting and photograph of orchid exhibition,.
- 17-18 December 2016 – 6th Chiang Mai Jazz Festival 2016 @ Promenada Resort Mall (Don Jun Intersection) contact: Festmasterteam@gmail.com Tel. 081-681-8329
- 18 December 2016 – Muang Thai Chiang Mai Marathon @ Tha Pae Gate- Muang Chiang Mai(Marathon in the municipal area). Contact: Joke & Joy Tel. 081-498-9865 www.chiangmaimarathon.com